Help guide for release v1.0.3
This help guide provides you with instructions to get started with basic and more advanced transcription tasks using DOTE. The help guide gives guidance on all features and functionality, including the DOTE Pro Edition. Some of the functionality described will not be available in the free Edition of DOTE. See the comparison chart on our webshop.
How to download and install DOTE
DOTE can be installed on the Microsoft Windows and Apple macOS desktop platforms.
- Please follow the instructions to install, update or upgrade.
DOTE Lego demo Project
Try the DOTE Lego demo Project. There are two Transcript versions according to Jeffersonian and Mondadaian conventions.
Help pages on using DOTE
Here is a list of help tutorials on specific topics:
- Layout of the user interface - easy-to-use and functional
- Creating, opening and saving transcription projects - easy project management
- Exporting and importing projects and transcripts to file - share your transcripts efficiently
- Media manager - manage your audiovisual data
- Timeline/waveform panel - intuitive navigation of timecoded data
- Primary and secondary 360/2D video view panels - multiple media and views (unique to DOTE)
- Audiovisual playback - silky-smooth audiovisual playback while typing
- Transcript editor - with transcript heuristics (unique to DOTE)
- Conventions supported by DOTE - conforming transcripts to a clear style (unique to DOTE)
- Primary tier and subtier types - adding multimodal complexity (unique to DOTE)
- Find and replace tool - powerful and accurate search
- Publishing to RTF and subtitles - create publishable transcripts and subtitles (unique to DOTE)
- Sync-codes - linking transcripts to audiovisual playback
- Video-cues - bringing cinema to audiovisual playback (unique to DOTE)
- Checkpoints and autobackups - two safe and reliable backup systems (unique to DOTE)
- Settings and Transcript Options - a tailorable UI and Transcript fit for a Queen
- Warnings & errors - letting you know what might go wrong
- How to transcribe with DOTE - practical advice for different transcription practices
- Tips & Tricks - how to get some mundane and special tasks done
- Commands and shortcuts guide - a visual guide all in one place
- Glossary of key terms - what you need to know
Browse our DOTE video tutorials
We have made a bunch of video tutorials you can view to learn how to use DOTE.
User bug reports
How to enter a bug report issue if you find anything that doesn't seem to work.
In many cases it helps us if you attach the DOTE logfile to the bug report.
The folder on your computer in which the logfiles are stored can be accessed by the link under the
User feature requests
How to enter an idea you have for a feature or enhancement to DOTE.
Tracking bugs and features as a user
You will be able to track bugs and features in our project board.
Suggestions for help pages and tutorials
Please submit a suggestion for how we can improve the help pages and guide, as well as ideas for video tutorials.
Using our DISCORD server
If you are using the free edition of DOTE, then there are some public channels on our Discord server. We cannot guarantee that we have time to respond to everything posted in these free public channels.
If you have purchased the license for the DOTE Pro Edition, then you will be invited to a private Discord channel for Pro features on our server. You will be able to share ideas and experiences quickly, and to fix issues interactively with other users and the developers.
If you have purchased the license for the DOTE Pro Community Edition, then you will be invited to several private Discord channels on our server, as well as our private GitHub repo for early beta releases, testing and feedback.
How to cite DOTE
If you are using DOTE for transcription, then we would appreciate that you cite it where appropriate.